Table of Contents
Purchasing a document shredder sounds like a simple task. Even so, there are several things to keep in mind. It is essential to understand the performance, features, and specifications of a paper shredder before buying it. That ensures your use of a paper shredder machine does not bring later disappointments.
Type of shredders: strip-cut, cross-cut and micro-cut
Get a paper shredder machine with a large bin capacity if you shred routinely
Not all paper shredders have the same cut. Paper shredders are categorized into three types according to their cuts:
- Strip-cut – a basic paper shredder for shredding non-confidential documents that produce narrow strips that are fairly readable.
- Cross-cut – used for shredding confidential documents in short particles that are barely readable.
- Micro-cut - micro cut shredder is effective in shredding highly confidential documents in square-shaped particles that are almost unreadable.
Type and number of users
Do you seldom want to shred a document at home? It would be best to look for a small and space-saving paper shredder for occasional shredding. If you are a heavy-user and want to shred a pile of confidential documents every day at the office, find a shredder that will endure working for an extended period. Whatever the choice, you should ensure that it is an ecofriendly paper shredder. Shredder devices are often categorized are follows:
- Personal shredders for home use – 1-2 users
- Home office or small office shredders – shared use for 1-5 users
- Commercial heavy-duty shredders – over 5 users
- Industrial paper shredder machines – used for High volume continuous shredding
Run-time and cool downtime
Generally, people fail to realize this, but most paper shredders have a maximum run-time and a cool downtime commonly known as ‘duty-cycle.’ Most household shredders can continuously shred between 5-10 minutes before a cool-down period is required to ensure that shredders don't overheat. Professional shredders for offices and Industrial paper shredder machines can run for up to 30 minutes.
Bin or bucket capacity
It is worth noting that a large capacity means less time is wasted emptying the bin. Conversely, a large bin capacity is definitely recommended when you want to shred daily, or you use the shredder with multiple users.
What do you want to shred?
Select a paper shredder machine does disappoint in the future
Paper documents, of course. Nevertheless, some shredders can handle more than paper alone. Such as Staples, Paperclips, CDs, and DVDs. Besides, more powerful shredders can also shred plastic cards, such as Loyalty cards, ID cards, and credit cards.
Important safety features
For your safety and that from others, you should consider a paper shredder that comes with exceptional safety features that prevent possible injuries, including a safety lock and a safety sensor.