Weighing Money Vs. Counting Money: Which is the Better Option?
There are two options when it comes to counting large sums of money. The first option is to use a friction currency counter the second option is using coin and currency scales. Below we have provided some information to help you decide which system might be right for you.
Friction Currency Counters
Friction currency counters are machines which count only paper money. If you opt for this type of currency counter, you will also need to procure a coin counter or count your coins by hand which can be time-consuming and highly inaccurate.
While many businesses use friction currency counters, they do come with a few drawbacks. Friction counters rely on moving parts to count banknotes. These moving parts can be noisy and are susceptible to breakage which can mean costly repairs and downtime for the machine.
Additionally, if you are counting damp, dirty, or new bills that have a tendency to stick together, friction counters can lead to inaccuracies as these types of bills are harder to count. Lastly, friction counters are heavy. In fact, they can weigh up to three or four times as much as coin and currency scales.
Coin and Currency Scales
Unlike friction currency counters, coin and currency scales do just as their name suggests, count both coins and currency. These machines can count coins and currency in seconds and are very accurate. Additionally, they learn as they go. What we mean by that is that a dirty banknote weighs more than a clean one and a torn banknote weighs more than one which is whole. Coin and currency scales consider this information and adjust as needed to ensure precision in the counting process.
How Do Coin and Currency Scales Work?
Coin and currency scales have detailed databases of weights for every supported currency and each denomination within that currency. When money is placed on the scale, the machine uses specially calibrated load cells to weigh the coins and currency all at one time. The machine uses the information from both the load cells and the currency database to quickly and accurately calculate the number of items it is weighing and the monetary value of those items.
Benefits of Count by Weight Coin and Currency Scales
As you can see from the comparison above, coin and currency scales are far superior to friction currency counters. Here are some additional benefits of coin and currency scales to consider when deciding as to which counter is right for you.
- Speed: Coin and currency scales can count an entire money drawer in approximately 60 seconds.
- Accuracy: Machines like Tellermate have a 99.9% accuracy rate.
- Portability: Most coin and currency scales are electric or battery operated which makes them portable and much lighter than friction currency counters.
- Multi-faceted: Coin and currency scales can work with coins and cash in over 20 different currencies.
- Quiet: With no moving parts, coin and currency scales are quiet and don’t have near the amount of maintenance required as do friction counters.
PBS Office and the Tellermate T-ix Series
When it comes to coin and currency scales we at PBS Office recommend the Tellermate T-ix series. We offer two different styles the Tellermate TIx R1000 Coin And Currency Scale or the Tellermate TIx R2000 Coin And Currency Scale.
Both of these scales would be a fabulous addition to your home or office. Here are some of the trademark features that you can enjoy with a Tellermate:
- Faster Counting: The Tellermate features a new money platform which reduces interference and allows for full weight limit utilization. Additionally, we have worked to minimize vibrations to give you a faster value display.
- Minimal External Interference: Each Tellermate contains sensors which will alert you to poor environmental conditions which could skew your results.
- High Capacity: The Tellermate is fitted with a long back to allow space for more bills and the coin tray has a non-slip coating.
- Enhanced Customization: Tellermate software is designed to meet the needs of your business, and additional customization can be added as your business grows and changes in the future.
- Enhanced Portability: The Tellermate is fitted with both left and right-handed finger grips for carrying as well as a light-weight battery.
If you would like to see a Tellermate coin and currency scale in action visit: https://youtu.be/QWx08ySG9F0
The Tellermate TIx R1000 is the perfect option for charities, schools, and small businesses while the Tellermate TIx R2000 can handle anything your larger business can throw at it.
As always if you have any questions about our products give us a call at 800-359-0364. We would be happy to answer your questions and help you find the best solution for your business needs.